Saturday, March 7, 2020

Hear the Report

Joshua 2:11 When we heard of it, our hearts melted in fear and everyone’s courage failed
because of you, for the LORD your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below.

     Sometimes a report can knock the wind right out of us. It can take our breath away. It can make our knees weak and our determination to move forward melt away.
     I have had several moments just like this in my life. When the news of my father's death came, my world seemed to slow to a stop. My breath was taken away. I felt a great sense of loss. I felt alone even though I was surrounded.
     When I found out I was accepted for Active Duty as a Chaplain I couldn't believe it. It was what we had sought for years, but had given up hope of achieving. And then it happened. Out of the blue. All our efforts has failed, and when we had given up, the LORD moved on our behalf.
     The LORD didn't deliver the Israelites out of Egypt because of their special merit as a people. He did it to show His greatness and character to the Nations. He used His people as a storyboard on which to write His story of grace and mercy. They were a rebellious people, but He remained faithful to His promises.
     So as Rahab accepted the spies and protected them, she did so because she had heard what the LORD had done for Israel. It was not what they heard about Israel, but what they had heard about the LORD. Those reports had caused the bravest among them to shake in their boots. They were cowering in fear.
     The lesson I hear from this history is that it isn't about our strength or courage, but about His grace and mercy. The focus needs to always be on Him. What makes us able to stand is Him.
     So stand today because the LORD is with you. Be courageous because the LORD is at your side. Revel in His history of grace and mercy in your life and the lives of those around you. Exalt Him. Celebrate Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment